Nintendo Wii desimates the best selling games list - 16/01/2009 by Andrew
The Wii has shown that, while it cannot push out as many pixels as the competition, it can certainly blow them away when it comes to game sales. Having the top 4 games (as far as sales are concerned) as well as having a console that has been making a profit per-sale (and that's from launch!) must be doing wonders for Nintendo's bank balance.
Yes, I agree that 'Wii Play' isn't really a game that should be included in this list, as it's a bundled game with a Wii-mote, though regardless it is currently taking up space in over 5.2 million people's lounge rooms.
The list of the 2008 top 10 (thanks to 1UP) is:
1. Wii Play (Wii) -- 5,280,000
2. Mario Kart Wii (Wii) -- 5,000,000
3. Wii Fit (Wii) -- 4,530,000
4. Super Smash Bros. Brawl (Wii) -- 4,170,000
5. Grand Theft Auto 4 (360) -- 3,290,000
6. Call of Duty: World at War (360) -- 2,750,000
7. Gears of War 2 (360) -- 2,310,000
8. Grand Theft Auto 4 (PS3) -- 1,890,000
9. Madden NFL 09 (360) -- 1,870,000
10. Mario Kart DS (DS) -- 1,650,000
One more thing to note; If you combine GTA4's PS3 and Xbox360 sales, you'll get 5,180,000. This is, in my view, the number one selling game for 2008. Imagine if GTA4 was ported to the Wii, even in 480p low quality mode? That would sell a few :)